Re: [teacherartexchange] Budget survey

---------

From: play2cre8 (play2cre8_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 09 2009 - 05:50:47 PDT

I have $10 per student collected as a fee by the school at the
beginning of the year. Our classroom teachers have a healthy
budget... $1100/year.... it doesn't change with the number of kids.
(My husband had 20 students last year in a 2/3 class... 13 this year.)
 And this hasn't changed for years.
I don't want this to come across the wrong way.. but even if I
couldn't order much - what a challenge. I love folk/outsider art and
have a collection of items I share with the kids. Isn't it more of a
challenge to create with what you have? We made animals using
cardboard from cereal boxes at the beginning of the year - and the
kids had a ball. There is a gentleman not far from here that makes the
most clever toys/sculptures out of everyday object - think of Calder's
circus. Wouldn't creating with what you have be a wonderful lesson?
The quilts of Gee's Bend, Found Art.. paper beads and baskets out of
newspaper and magazines.

But I have to say - the cardboard and scrap fabric is easier to cut
with good scissors, paint goes on cardboard better with good brushes,
quality glue holds things together.... instructional resources make a
difference.

Think about what you need - I think that people (administrators)
don't realize there are at least three needs for the art room -
consumables/materials, instructional resources and tools/equipment.
There are things I have to replace every year, somethings rarely...
and sometimes tools/equipment can be more expensive than the
materials. Can you come up with a purchasing plan that takes into
account what you need for this year - and plan what needs to be
replaced and put it on a timeline?

For my first teaching job I had 1200 students in 4 schools K-8 and
$300... when I got this job I had 300 students and $1200. That was 29
years ago. And I had more support in the first situation.

Ellen