Re:[teacherartexchange] Budget Survey

---------

From: Tina Vercelli (tvercelli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 06:23:31 PDT

I serve approx 135 students a year and my budget is $1500. Of the three
schools I have worked at in my career, it is the biggest budget I have ever
had.

My fist school had a budget of about $600 per year. The Second told me to
order whatever I needed, but I tried to keep it around $800.

To expect you to teach all that you are expected to on a $300 budget is
laughable! Especially after having two years of decent funding.

Hi all,

I'm sorry that I don't usually participate more actively in these on-line
conversations, but I have been an active lurker for over ten years:)
(participating sporadically). Over that time I have worked all over the
country and most recently over the past several years I have been teaching
art in Santa Monica, CA. I love my job, but budget has all of a sudden
become a HUGE issue. The program was completely supported by grant money
(for the last two years), and now that the grant money has been used, no
other monetary support has taken it's place. While my principal "talks the
talk" about supporting the arts, understanding how important they are, blah,
blah, blah, she gave me a middle school budget of $300.00 for the entire
school year. This is the same principal who begged me to purchase a kiln
(with a large portion of the grant money) and promised me that when the
grant ran out she would make sure I continued to receive the money necessary
 to incorporate a ceramics section into the arts curriculum. I am now faced
with number questions, and I am searching high and low for statistics, but
am having a hard time finding them regarding budgets. Can I get some art
budget numbers please? I teach middle school visual art, and they expect me
to teach everything (such as crafts, painting, ceramics, drawing, you name
it). I have two year long classes of dedicated young artists and three
"exploratory wheel" classes that rotate through about every 12-18 weeks. I
would really appreciate anyone's numbers in terms of what their
district/school spends per child or on the visual art department as a whole.
Also, if anyone has any specific links to sites that show monetary numbers
necessary to sustain an art program (not just art advocacy, but those that
give specific numbers regarding spending per child) I would really
appreciate it.
Thanks for any help!

Jen West
Art Teacher, Santa Monica, CA