[teacherartexchange] Budget survey

---------

From: jjennifer west (jenniferjoycewest_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 20:10:41 PDT

Hi all,

I'm sorry that I don't usually participate more actively in these on-line conversations, but I have been an active lurker for over ten years:) (participating sporadically).  Over that time I have worked all over the country and most recently over the past several years I have been teaching art in Santa Monica, CA.  I love my job, but budget has all of a sudden become a HUGE issue.  The program was completely supported by grant money (for the last two years), and now that the grant money has been used, no other monetary support has taken it's place.  While my principal "talks the talk" about supporting the arts, understanding how important they are, blah, blah, blah, she gave me a middle school budget of $300.00 for the entire school year.  This is the same principal who begged me to purchase a kiln (with a large portion of the grant money) and promised me that when the grant ran out she would make sure I continued to receive the money necessary
 to incorporate a ceramics section into the arts curriculum.  I am now faced with number questions, and I am searching high and low for statistics, but am having a hard time finding them regarding budgets.  Can I get some art budget numbers please?  I teach middle school visual art, and they expect me to teach everything (such as crafts, painting, ceramics, drawing, you name it).  I have two year long classes of dedicated young artists and three "exploratory wheel" classes that rotate through about every 12-18 weeks.  I would really appreciate anyone's numbers in terms of what their district/school spends per child or on the visual art department as a whole.  Also, if anyone has any specific links to sites that show monetary numbers necessary to sustain an art program (not just art advocacy, but those that give specific numbers regarding spending per child) I would really appreciate it.
Thanks for any help!

Jen West
Art Teacher, Santa Monica, CA