Re:[teacherartexchange] Following Directions

---------

From: menichino (jlmenichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 03 2009 - 06:35:04 PDT

Hello Roshanda --
Perhaps the 4th graders would be old enough to write their own
directions for your projects... and then check them off as they
complete each step.

For the younger students, I find I have to make the directions no more
than 3 or 4 steps, with a visual demo at the beginning. As they work
I'll have them stop for a minute and, for example, raise their hand if
they are doing such and such. Or hold up what they have so far......

I don't "have" to formally assess our K's and 1's but for 2nd and 3rd
grade I might assess on skills like cutting, glueing, using 6 colors,
etc.

It may help to show 2nd and 3rd a simple rubric or checklist of
exactly what they'll be graded on.

AND, when all else fails, I keep some skittles candy handy for
rewarding a particular table or group who DID follow directions right
away. Food, the great motivator.......

Hope this helps --
Liz in Rural beautiful colorful NY