Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: October 28, 2008

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2008 - 05:17:22 PDT

for Jennifer (art teachers' perceptions)-
I have strong self-esteem and know being an elementary art teacher is
a vital way to help students learn BUT I am a planning period for my
fellow teachers, a "decorator" of the halls, and I think that's about
it. I "lost" the art museum field trip when one grade level preferred
going to the Natural History Museum, and now we have too many field
trips too add an art museum back in. Collaboration--we meet as
disparate content areas weekly ("specials meetings"), but as an art
department four times a year. I've tried to facilitate
cross-curricular stuff, but most tell me "they don't have time" for
their benchmarks, let alone art stuff. We do have a department blog
this year, and that has been helpful. Also, for the first year ever,
our district PD day was developed with teacher input and will be
featuring peer presentations.