[teacherartexchange] Art Teacher Perceptions of Self and School--Discussion

---------

From: Jennifer Blalock (jlb025_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2008 - 10:26:09 PDT

Hi, my name is Jennifer and I am a graduate student researching how art
teachers perceive themselves and their school environment for an action
research project. I just wanted to open a discussion on the Listserv to get a
more national discussion going to compare with the survey results of my local
art teachers.

I thought it would be of interest to all of us as art educators to see how
other art teachers see themselves and their workplaces because sometimes
schools only employ one art teacher at a time, so this is a good opportunity
to connect with other art educators about any issues specific to our
profession and possibly share some advice.

I mainly wanted to know how fellow art teachers felt about their school
community. Do you feel like someone who is a valued member of your school
team? Ive talked to several newer art teachers who say that they often feel
isolated because they are the only teachers with an art background at their
school. I wondered if this was a NEW teacher phenomenon or an ART teacher
phenomenon. Or even a small school phenomenon. Even if they are the only art
teachers at their schools, surely there is plenty of opportunity to
collaborate with other teachers on curriculum teams or special programs?

What is the mindset of the average art teacher? How does the average art
teacher view the condition of the arts programs in their schools? How does
the average art teacher participate in their school environment? I would
really appreciate any viewpoints that one could offer to shed some light on
the answers to these questions.

Artfully yours,
Jennifer