[teacherartexchange] ode to an aide

---------

From: Colleen Hodel (hodelc_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2008 - 09:07:04 PDT

Anyone have a clever way to politely get the aides to stop doing the
work for the kids they are supposed to be assisting?
I have multiple students with disabilities who come to art with an
aide. They always want to do the project for the child, rather than
working with the student hand over hand like they should be. I have
explained that the final product is not important, that it is the
experience of working with the materials, the building of their fine
motor skills, and the fun of it....! I don't care if there is messy
cutting or gluing, just that the student has his or her own efforts to
take home. The parents know when their child created the work because
they know their abilities. They don't need a perfect piece made by an
aide! They just continue to do it themselves because it is easier than
trying to help the child.
I teach a separate adaptive art class for these students, with a little
easier lessons, but they still also come to art with their regular
class. I know they can do more than the aides think they can do!