Re: [teacherartexchange] beginning drawing

---------

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2008 - 12:32:45 PDT

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Marvin Bartel wrote:
> I am very glad to see this interest in teaching drawing. It is a good sign.

My approach to art ed emphasizes covering the basics (drawing
techniques, perspective, color theory, etc) and developing skills in a
variety of media. All art students have weekly observational homework
drawings (with the exception of Honors students) and my Art 1 program
is very structured.

As students move to Art 2, Advanced Art (3-4) and then Honors, they
have more and more choices regarding self-expression. My Honors class
is for students interested in pursuing some form of applied art as a
career and they have the choice of doing a weekly homework drawing OR
doing a weekly blog post in which they post pictures of their works in
progress and offer self-critiques, talk about their process, etc.

But funny--one of the students I had from her 8th grade year through
her senior year is a freshman at Ringling. I asked her recently what
she was doing in her classes and she said (with a sigh),
"Observational drawing...still lifes and stuff."

Next week I'll be attending a conference that will include a session
on "Helping prepare
students and portfolios for the college process." This year I have
several students interested in majoring in art or attending art
schools so this should be very helpful.

--
Sharon
www.art-rageous.net