Re: [teacherartexchange] beginning drawing

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2008 - 12:06:36 PDT

I am very glad to see this interest in teaching drawing. It is a good sign.

Drawing seems to be the missing Standard in the National Visual Art Standards. Drawing may be implied, but it certainly is not specified. Any teacher who decides not to use drawing to meet the standards could easily skip it. Why is this? Did the authors feel like drawing is not basic? Did they believe it is too difficult? Did they think it is a rare talent, and it would be unfair to ask other to learn it? When we fail teach young children how they can learn how to practice observation drawing, most of them will suffer from a crisis of confidence in art by second or third grade. Kids actually assume that drawing is a basic skill (Standard) in art. A number of you have shared your ideas and others have asked good questions. In response to teacher questions, I have posted a web page to answer a number of questions about the use of copying as a way to teach drawing.

I posted it at:
www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/arted/y-no-copies.html

In response to what I feel has been a missing National Visual Arts Standard, I have been posting beginning drawing lessons and descriptions of teaching beginning drawing. I started investing these ideas because I believe that learning to draw can mitigate the crisis of confidence problem and make art class a much happier place for both students and teachers. Our standards and practices should surely include methods of practice that lead to learning to draw.

www.goshen.edu/art/ed/draw.html
www.goshen.edu/art/ed/ritual.html
www.goshen.edu/art/ed/d-list.html
bartelart.com/arted/blindcontour.html
bartelart.com/orchid.html
www.goshen.edu/art/ed/westv.html
www.goshen.edu/art/ed/shading.html
www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/lessons/rabbit.html
www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/lessons/cubism.html
www.goshen.edu/art/ed/drawingskills.html
www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/PreSchool/aboutschematic.html

Marvin

"We need to remember that we are created creative and can invent new scenarios as frequently as they are needed." -- Maya Angelou