Re: [teacherartexchange] beginning drawing

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 09:46:25 PDT

Betty,

The upside down method works well to train students to really "see". Objects transform into just lines, values and forms. What they are, who they are, is secondary to what makes up the image. I have done this same exercise many times and students are amazed how well their upside down drawing is much better then the first drawing that is right side up. I have them contrast them and determine in the first drawing where the mistakes were made compared to the second one. I also ask them what details were included in the second one that were missed in the first. This brings home the true nature of observation and really "seeing" objects by what makes them up vs. identifying a part with a name.

Jeff (minnesota)