Re: [teacherartexchange] beginning drawing

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 09:41:24 PDT

>Betty B. worte:
>Just funny this morning, my first hour's "before" drawings on the Stravinsky upside-down thing were WAY more accurate than their "after".

Experiments to improve right brain drawing practice:

For what it is worth, I feel I am sending fewer mixed messages about how to learn how to learn how to draw, if I turn over an actual thing like a huge teddy bear or another toy that they have NOT been drawing (to avoid a memorized left brain image). When I ask kids to draw the upside down things, unlike B. Edwards, I do NOT have then copy from pictures. To me it is not evil for them to copy when they draw their own for fun, but as part of learning draw in an art class, it is sending mixed messages when I continue to advocate copying (which is not really training the same neurons).

Secondly, in another change from Betty Edwards, I have them practice with a blinder (a 8 to 10 inch square of card stock with a center pencil hole) on the pencil so that it is harder to be looking at the paper as they draw. I find that after they have practiced all the contour lines of something (even if they are all disconnected lines), they can then draw the whole thing from observation without the blinder (with verbal reminders to primarily look at what they are drawing from--not the paper) much better than they could have drawn it without the prior blind practice. It is logical that after having looked carefully with the mind and hand, the ability to draw from observation will improve. In my experience, this works.

Marvin

A BLINDER PRACTICE LESSON

www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/lessons/rabbit.html

THE BIG BEAR is upside down (including upside down practice) --- a 2008 posting
Scroll down to see the upside down bear and drawings.

bartelart.com/arted/blindcontour.html