[teacherartexchange] A sad loss in the art world -- Stan Sporny

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 09:29:39 PDT

Artist Stanley Sporny has passed away. Stan was a professor at
Marshall University and has taught numerous well-known artists in this
area. His art is truly amazing. He calls it "Abstract Expressionism
on a Realist Framework." He studied under Neil Welliver, Red Grooms,
Alex Katz, Alice Neel, Elaine de Kooning, James Brooks, Paul Georges
and Larry Poons.

He was also an inventor, and came up with a great line of safe,
environmentally friendly products for oil painters called the Sporny
Formula that I use and love. (They're great for the classroom,
especially if you don't have the best ventilation.)

I was very fortunate to have had him in my life as a professor and
also as a friend. He has touched so many people through his art and
teaching. So many are in shock today because he's gone. He just had
a very successful show here in Charleston, WV. I'm having a difficult
time writing about him in past-tense because it's so hard to imagine
him gone.

See his art here: http://www.mcjunkingallery.com/exhibitions.php?showid=83

Becky
Charleston WV