Re: [teacherartexchange] beginning drawing

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 08:43:52 PDT

Betty - My memory of doing the upside down drawings tells me that for
success:
I had to stress that students try to totally ignore what they were
copying,
and that they simply treat the drawing as lines that go in certain
directions and
touch each other at certain places, Also to compare the length of
lines and
size of spaces by comparing one to another. Of course the key is
never to name
what they are drawing/copying - this is of course most difficult when
it comes to
hands and faces. When I stressed the concept involved - to never name
anything
and just copy lines it seemed to work best.
                                                        Best of Luck to You, Woody

On Oct 23, 2008, at 8:37 AM, Betty B wrote:

> I have a new batch of 6th graders, who draw like 9 year olds. So,
> for a 2 week drawing session, we're starting out with some Betty
> Edwards excercises. I didn't do this with the first batch, so I
> want to see which works better. This is a very small group, 12
> kids, so we're just sitting together drawing, its been very pleasant.
>
> Just funny this morning, my first hour's "before" drawings on the
> Stravinsky upside-down thing were WAY more accurate than their
> "after".
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque