RE: [teacherartexchange] Altered Books

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 06:21:48 PDT

When I do altered books, the "owner" of the book establishes the theme on the cover, back cover, and endsheets. THEN each student makes a page in everyone's book based on the stated theme. When they are done they have their "own" book back with work relating to the theme from their classmates. These books are kept in class and students work on them all year. So whenever they are "finished" with their regular work, they are encouraged to go to the shelf, pick up an altered book and work on that. Also with our altered books, we sometimes glue pages together so that we can cut a small niche out and put things inside of it. So if you only have a class of 20 kids, but a book of 150 pages, you can essentially have 20 thick pages.

San D