[teacherartexchange] Kolam Design of south India, Melissa's first India paintings

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissaenderle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 18:20:49 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNet Folks,

With the onset of the monsoon season, it's been raining here in
Chennai for over a week now. Unlike in Mali (during its rainy season)
where it would rain heavily for an hour or two and then be nice for
the rest of the day, the monsoon of south India likes to play cat and
mouse. One minute it will be blue skies and white puffy clouds and
suddenly the dark ones move in and another shower of the day starts.
This may happen throughout the day, with even more rain occurring
during the nighttime. I posted a few photos and writing on my blog
about the monsoon. http://melissaenderle.blogspot.com/

One good thing about rainy weekends is that you can get stuff done at
home. I made some updates to my website http://web.me.com/
melissaenderle including my first paintings of India and travels
through Tamil Nadu (state where Chennai is).

One traditional artform practiced in front of most Tamil homes,
temples, and some businesses is the kolam, or rangoli as it is known
in other places. Women expertly create symmetrical organic or
geometric-looking designs with rice flour on the entryways of their
homes, etc. Many start with a pre-arranged dot pattern to get the
design going. I am fortunate to live in an apartment with an artist
who uses her skills to create beautiful kolam designs out of flour
paste. Some of these delicate intricate designs remind me a bit of
snowflakes. Perhaps the kolam designs will be of inspiration for an
art lesson. I will add more kolam designs as I photograph them. Here
is the full kolam URL http://web.me.com/melissaenderle/Melissa_Enderle_Travel_Journeys/Kolams.html
  and its shortened URL: http://oodeshu.notlong.com

The India main page with its links; http://web.me.com/melissaenderle/Melissa_Enderle_Travel_Journeys/India.html
  or shortened: http://iighee.notlong.com
My artwork on India: http://web.me.com/melissaenderle/Melissa_Enderle_Travel_Journeys/India_Artwork.html#grid
   or shortened: http://pohthe.notlong.com

On Saturday I leave for Kerala as we have off for Diwali. Watch for
upcoming photos of this trip!

Melissa Enderle
American International School of Chennai, India