RE: [teacherartexchange] Students and manga style

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2008 - 16:25:24 PDT

Over the recent years some of my students have been interested in manga. Here is how I have handled it. First of all I tell them that when they are in my studio (which is what I called my class) they will be challenged to do certain projects that will teach them what it means to be an artist, which will inform their drawings and creativity and also make their manga work stronger. I tell them that they can work on their manga in THEIR studios at home, but it my studio we will be working on specific work that I will be grading them on. I tell them (and this is just not directed to Manga devotees, but to all those students who think they know it all already), that I am a tug boat, and they are a ship in the water. If my boat does not lead them through the waters, I have not done my job. My tug boat will be guiding them through the ideas and projects that we work on. I do NOT let them work on their manga in school, but encourage every student to work at their own style in their own studio. I also tell them that
 as artists they must be forward thinking and develop an individual style. I also talk to them a bit about Manga and ask them to think about the culture from where it arises, and ask them what they know or have researched about the art and the stories connected with it. While imitation is a form of flattery, in the art world individualism is prized and not copy cat style and art. As for nudity, that definitely is a no no, and while I encourage my art students to take life drawing classes to study the body prior going to art school, I do NOT enourage them to draw nudes in the class, but yet again, if they want to draw nudes in their studio, that is their business.

end of conversation.

and

I never have any one argue with me (out loud anyway, I see their faces sometimes).

and

I try to always do "wowie zowie" "no fail" projects that pushes the elements and principles of design, teaches skills, and gives students ownership by showing them how to write thesis statements to declare their intent. As soon as they accomplish the first project, I have them hooked.

San D