Re: [teacherartexchange] Students and manga style

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2008 - 16:22:17 PDT

The problem with the manga style is that it is fairly easy to copy and students can have instant success and recognition for their copying efforts. The style when it comes to the human form is very suggestive and erotic.

Have them research the style. Where did it come from? How has it evolved? What is the asian influence? How would manga be different had it been invented in America? If the nude figures are acceptable discuss how an understanding of true anatomy is needed to be able to create these images. Practicing drawing hands, feet, arms, legs, heads is very important in an understanding of this style. Challenge them to create a style of their own and what would they call it in the tradition of manga?

Have them research a variety of cartooning. They would be able to use all the art foundations in this from drawing, shading, color theory, history etc.

Jeff (Minnesota)