Re: [teacherartexchange] Best Practices

---------

tbarry_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Oct 15 2008 - 03:21:48 PDT

Hi Diane,
I am currently reading Studio Thinking (almost done) and caution you
to read this book thoroughly before making any decisions on using it
as a teaching tool. I am increasingly concerned about the way
prospective art educators are learning so-called best practices. I do
think this is an important book... I just have very mixed feelings
about the teacher examples and the way it is written. Please don't
get me wrong though, there are sections I do agree with... there is a
discussion on the capacity to "Envision", I found this to be
thoughtful and clear. Overall, I probably went into the book with
high expectations and just feel let down. I would be interested to
hear what others think.

PS... I learned more about best practice from Marvin Bartel's site
than I did from this book AND I always came away from Marvin's work
feeling inspired and validated.

Theresa Barry

Oakmont Regional High School
Visual Arts Department