RE: [teacherartexchange] art museums in San Francisco

---------

From: Cheryl Lloyd (clloyd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2008 - 12:21:04 PDT

Looks like Ken already said these but I thought you could have one more
view. I would recommend the MOMA. But I thought you might like to hear
from a fellow colleague that spends her summers in the Bay Area...

MOMA--excellent location if you are staying down town....easy access,
interesting architecture, usually good shows, some good permanent
collection, always a sure bet that you will see SOMETHING you love
there.

De Young---Nice location in golden gate park--now even better because it
is across the street from natural sciences museum that JUST opened with
their living roof and all the fancy stuff. Very cool viewing deck.
Interesting architecture. Large collection of art/artifacts from all
over the world which is currently being fought over, family inheritance
issue...so go and see it before it is taken away. A nice trip for the
whole family because you can see golden gate park, the tea garden,
natural history museum and other things in the park...also if you take a
bus or train you can go the beach very easily from there.

Legion of Honor---spectacular location but far from downtown...you can
walk from there along the cliffs with outstanding views of the pacific,
the rocks, san fran, Marin headlands and the golden gate bridge and end
up at the Cliff House and Sutro Baths. Very nice for outdoorsy people
(not rec for little kids as they literally can run right off the
cliffs). Collection there is more early American and European.
Architecture is outstanding. Exhibitions are typically traditional, not
contemporary.

For more specific interests there are specialty art museums like a
cartooning museum and such.

Cheri Lloyd
Art Teacher/ Beginning Teacher Mentor
3435 Don Pedro Road