Re: [teacherartexchange] Field Trip

---------

bmarder_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Oct 13 2008 - 08:24:38 PDT

Let me add a walking tour of the city-maybe you can prepare a
scavenger hunt of sorts as they head from Central Park to Times Sq.
How about a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge-you can tie it into a
painting by Joseph Stella.

Other notable places to visit are the NY Public Library-free and great
murals, the free Staten Island ferry, and perhaps a free tour through
an art college where your students might interview art students. Years
ago I did all these things on a five day 8th grade trip to NYC. Check
and see if it's cheaper to get a subway pass and special student
rates. Also I believe there's a pass program for students accompanied
with an adult to get special rates at certain Broadway shows. Have
them pack snacks in their backpacks for instant fortification. Use
grocery stores to buy fruit and sandwiches instead of restaurants.

Bring sketchbooks and give them an assignment before departure.

Find out the free visit times to MOMA. I believe the Met. Mus. of Art
has a voluntary admission fee so you might make a donation for the
group.

Some corporations have wonderful art and no admission charge.

See what's happening at Lincoln Center and if any free or reduced-rate
rehearsals are available.

You are lucky to have the Internet to explore all these possibilities.

Have a great time!!!!
Barbara from Boston