RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: October 11, 2008

---------

From: Mahoney, Ellen (emahoney_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2008 - 21:20:35 PDT

Hi Paula,
 I would suggest making two pinch pots and putting them together to make the body. The air inside keeps the shape of the body. The body can also be gently rolled around to make oval or round bodies. The students can add slip/score on limbs and heads . At the end they must put a small hole in the under side(or an opening for the mouth) to let the air expand when the pieces are fired. I have also had the students do two press mold into a bowl (I get cheap plastic ones from the discount stores) Make sure the bowls are lined in thin drying cleaning plastic before casting the clay. The two dome shapes are put together to make a larger main body form.
 Hope that is useful,
Ellen