[teacherartexchange] collage/enlargement

---------

From: Jackie Brewer (jacjac2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2008 - 12:00:35 PDT

         I have done this assignment in the past, was not always successful
but this year I am seeing a lot of success. This is one I do at the
beginning of the year to get the students to thinking, studying
contour, and work from direct observation or experiences. If you are
interested in pictures, email me but here are the steps .

         1. Introduce 3 quick assignments where students have to draw from
observation, imagination , and experiences.
         - Draw your shoe or hand (observation)
         - Total Doodling (imagination - I sometimes have them begin the
drawing then it is passed around the room for students to add to other
students)
         - Draw a map of your route to school and draw at least one
building you pass. (Experience)

         - We talk about each one and which one was the hardest for them to
accomplish and why. (Self Assessment)

         2. I talk about collage and show a few examples. I then inform
the students that instead of using magazine, they will use individual
drawings about themselves. ( Oh no - the complaining that takes place
but we get through it)
         - Students are given an 18x24 sheet of newsprint. We fold this
paper to the point of having 16 individual areas to draw in. In one
area, I have the student list 15 things about who they are as a
person. You would have thought I asked them for the "unthinkable".
Once they are done, I then discuss that they will do a drawing that
represents each of the 15 times. They need to bring items in if
possible for direct observation unless they can show me they
understand the basic shape of what they are doing. ( Basketball
players only think they know how the backboard and net are arranged,
many don't - cool when you can prove them wrong). I also allow
students to use cameras on phones if they took a picture of something
too large to bring in. VERY IMPORTANT THAT STUDENTS LEARN TO USE THE
ENTIRE SPACE PROVIDED AS SMALL DRAWINGS WILL MEAN TOO MUCH NEGATIVE
SPACE SHOWING IN THE COLLAGE.

         3. Once completed - students cut out around the outside contour of
each picture. Stress to the students that they need to maintain the
outer contour line when cutting out. Any negative areas are cut out
as well with an x-acto knife. Students are given a 9x12 sheet of
construction paper to glue the pictures down in an overlapping collage
format. This is where we justify the placement of the items based on
the importance and the quality of the individual drawing. Once glued
down, students will draw a 1" grid of horizontal and diagonal lines.

         4. Last stage - These collage with a 1" grid is then enlarged to
a 1 1/2" grid. I stress light pencil pressure throughout the entire
project. I am looking for direct grid placement. Students are not
to erase the grid lines on the enlargement as I want to evaluate the
direct grid placement of lines. Once I have graded this, I then allow
them to erase it. For advanced students this enlarged grid can be a
wrapped grid.

         You have a basic contour enlarged drawing with some small lessons
incorporated into it. From this point I have gone different directions.

         - Go Straight into value and shading skills then have them complete
the piece.
         - I same it till the end of the semester and the students then
have choices to use pencil, pen and ink stippling, or color to apply
these techniques to the piece for their semester exam. I do not do a
large written exam as I do mini exams along the way.

Jackie

Jackie Aust Brewer
Art/Multimedia Instructor
Bryan ISD Art Coordinator