[teacherartexchange] Scout Report - sites to check out

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2008 - 11:51:18 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I know I haven't shared any sites from the Scout Report in quite some
time. I have months of reports to wade through. I just noticed I
deleted today's Scout Report email in Mailwasher without even reading
it - so I looked it up online.
http://scout.wisc.edu/Reports/ScoutReport/Current/

You will enjoy checking these sites that are featured.

Drawing Babar: Early Drafts and Watercolors
http://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions/exhibition.asp?id=4
From stories told by his wife to their young son came the fanciful
world of Babar the Elephant, and seven decades later they remain
popular tales. After the death of Jean de Brunhoff, the mantle was
taken up by his son Laurent de Brunhoff, who continued illustrating
tales of Babar's many journeys and adventures. Recently, The Morgan
Library & Museum decided to offer an exhibit of early drafts and
watercolors of these works. Along with the in situ exhibit, they also
created this website, which provides access to the first maquette
created by Brunhoff as he set about creating the story of Babar.
Visitors to the site can learn about the maquette, and use a set of
tools to zoom in and out of the entire 37-page artwork. It's a
delightful trip through the early life of Babar, and it is one to be
shared with both young and old. [KMG]

PRINT Magazine
http://www.printmag.com/
This website is Print magazine's online presence. Established in 1940,
Print magazine features writing about visual culture and design, with
special attention paid to work that looks at design in its social,
political, and historical contexts. Print's tagline is "Design Culture
Comment", and essentially it's a thinking person's guide to graphic
design. Clicking on "Current Issue" on the left side of the page will
allow visitors to peruse some of the main articles of the current
issue. Visitors can, of course, also view selections from past issues.
Importantly for readers of this type of magazine, Print has a section
called "Competitions" that gives designers the potential opportunity
to get their design ideas heard. Visitors should not miss the "News"
link for a daily dose of design news and the "Daily Heller", which
offers up witty, scathing, and informative commentary on current
design ideas and issues. [KMG]

Three articles are online from the current issue. If you are a Daily
Show and Colbert Report fan, you will enjoy the article on political
graphics.

You can check back issues of Scout Report online.
http://scout.wisc.edu/Reports/ScoutReport/Archive/index.php
Scroll down to 2008 Issues of the Scout Report

Enjoy,

Judy Decker