Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Identity by Design: Tradition, Change and Celebration in Native Women’s Dresses

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2008 - 10:05:46 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I can not emphasize enough the importance of subscribing to NY Times.
It is FREE (via email).

Here is one exhibit that was announced.
Identity by Design: Tradition, Change and Celebration in Native Women's Dresses

I know I have posted information about this exhibit before. Now it is
on view in New York.
article includes a very nice slide show.

Here is the online exhibit:

You can order the catalog of the exhibit:

Another do-not-miss article is one on the portraits of Elizabeth
Peyton. I was not familiar with this artist. Her portraits are very
painterly. The oil paintings have broad brush strokes of transparent
colors (much like watercolors). There is an audio slide show with this
article along with some good images. The exhibit is on view at New
Museum in New York:

Here is the link to the article:

I also enjoyed the article on African Textiles and their influence on artists.
African Art, Modern and Traditional: Seductive Patterns From a Rich Palette
"The Essential Art of African Textiles: Design Without End" continues
through March 22 at the Metropolitan Museum of Art{6EB15EDD-CFF8-4E7B-AA28-573CAB5230D5}

More from New York Times:

My apologies for links that are too long and may not be "clickable" -
just copy and paste them into your browser.

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources
To unsubscribe go to