Re: [teacherartexchange] Participation in TeacherArtExchange

---------

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2008 - 14:54:59 PDT

I'm another long-time member. Can't remember when I initially joined,
but I've been here at LEAST 10 years.

As I was telling a co-worker today, sometimes I feel I'm drowning in
the "information age." There's SO much out there, SO much to see and
absorb and read and there's just not enough time to do any of it
justice.

Back when I first joined, there really weren't all that many internet
resources for art teachers. In addition to this group, though, I was
a member of a state-based web forum for art teachers, where I'd wait
for my modem to connect and use my Mac Plus (yes, you read that
correctly!) to read posts on a black and white monitor....

These days, if I need to get info about a project, it's far, far
easier to go to google than to post a question--and wait for a
response. Plus, now that I've been teaching for a number of years,
I'm more confident about what I'm doing and more often need technical
advice (found on google) than personalized, moral support (that we've
traditionally had here). That said, in my early days here--when I was
first making the switch to teaching at the HS level--this group saved
my butt on many occasions! (I thanked you then, but I'll offer a word
of thanks again now!!)

Another thought though--I'm a member of a lot of different message
boards (non-art related). I LOVE message board formats (like PostNuke
& vBulletin), especially since you can POST PICTURES. I am SO visual
that I need to SEE something to really understand it. Plus, you can
choose to subscribe to particular threads of interest, but you don't
HAVE to receive, via email, everything that everyone posts.

Maybe there are message boards already out there for art ed. Dunno,
haven't looked. Yahoo groups (like the one Judy set up) are helpful,
but they're still not as flexible and functional as a true message
board where you can create a brief profile, create a link to your
website or blog (if you have them), read and respond when it's
convenient or easily search for particular topics.

Maybe Getty would be willing to set up a message board.... Or if you
know of an especially good one, please let me know. :-)

--
Sharon
www.art-rageous.net