[teacherartexchange] Re. workaround to blocked YouTube at school

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissaenderle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2008 - 14:44:35 PDT

Dear Jackie and other interested folks,

Indeed there are many schools that block YouTube and similar services,
even though there are some very useful videos contained within it. In
addition, there is legitimate concern about the impact that live
streaming has on the school's network speed. Therefore, a much more
useful alternative is to use a service (free) such as Zamzar (www.zamzar.com
). Simply enter the URL (the "http:// address) of the video page and
select the format to which you would like converted (i.e. quick time
or .wmv). Zamzar will convert the video for you. Do this at home and
then save it onto a flash drive. Works great and enables your class to
still watch the video - and without the "stuttering" you might get if
simply trying to play it from the internet.

Melissa