Re: [teacherartexchange] Participation in TeacherArtExchange

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2008 - 12:19:42 PDT

Excellent analysis, Ann--I think you about covered it

>>> Ann Heineman <aiheineman@prodigy.net> 10/9/2008 7:25 am >>>
Hello KJ,
        I have been a member of the list for over ten years and I have
noticed the same decrease in activity that you mention. Here are my
thoughts on its causes:

1. Technology glitches in the list serve program, i.e. periods of
long term "down time," problems with sign-up access, access to the
archives, threats that Getty would be shutting down the program, etc.
In the wake of these many problems, many members over the years have
left to join another list. We have lost many wonderful and valuable
educators and friends of art.

2. Extreme nastiness in the form of put-downs shown by some members to
individuals, both written publicly on the list and/or to the member's
personal e-mail. As a recipient of one of these "blasts," I can attest
to the sting of rejection and humiliation they create.

3. Lack of list etiquette--those on digest format have written
extensively on this topic recently. There have been other instances
over the years where members don't understand or want to follow the
rules of communicating on a list.

4. Unbalance of the "takers" and the "givers." The "takers" are
winning. When the "givers" contribute, little acknowledgment or
appreciation is given.

5. Simple demographics: there are members of the list from early
times who have dropped out due to health issues, retirement, moves to
new careers. New educators from a younger generation are not joining.

6. Our national economy is not strong and education is one of the many
casualties. The visual arts take the hit first.

          I thank the many members who continue to make this list a unique
family for art educators and have stayed throughout all the upheavals
over the years!

                                Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                                Art teacher, K-5, retired 6 years

On Oct 9, 2008, at 3:55 AM, K J wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am an Australian student studying online communities and I was
> wondering if I could get some help from the members of this community.
>
> Posts peaked at over 1600 a month in year 2000 and have since then
> dwindled to less than 200 per month, the lowest since creation. Why is
> this? Is it the listserv format? Or other reasons?
>
> Are there any other problems (technical, social, pedagogical etc) with
> being a member of this community?
>
> What do you perceive as being the greatest benefit to being a member?
>
> thank you for taking the time to respond. If you would like to reply
> privately, I have set up an email account for this purpose:
> kj2008art@gmail.com
>
> regards
> KJ
>
> ---