Re: [teacherartexchange] Visual Culture

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2008 - 11:25:20 PDT

Hi Diane,
        Please describe what visual culture is. The term showed up on this
list a few years ago and I have no clue what it means. When I taught,
our district art curriculum had a component called "Art in Society."
It included exploration of the arts through the background areas you
mention below. It seems that every generation of teacher preparation
programs has new lingo for ideas already developed, tried and
discarded when a "new" one comes along. How does visual culture
compare to what many of know as Discipline Based Art Education (DBAE)--
a Getty Institute program, remember?) I'd like to know why this
concept is important and how we can prepare teachers to be excited
about it.

                                Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                                Art teacher, K-5, retired