Re: [teacherartexchange] Participation in TeacherArtExchange

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2008 - 10:36:46 PDT

KJ from Australia wrote:

>Posts peaked at over 1600 a month in year 2000 and have since then
>dwindled to less than 200 per month, the lowest since creation. Why is
>this? Is it the listserv format? Or other reasons?

Today the Internet is maturing and has a lot more information available so that teachers have more options, archives, and other user groups that were not available in 2000. Interesting and useful posts are those that are about something that has not been previously discussed (not as easy in 2008). The user group is maturing. Thoughtful participants check the archive before posting a topic.

Many people start a query by doing an Internet search. The Internet includes many user group archives as well as an increasing number of art teacher blogs. Bloggers can make a contribution while retaining copyright. When blogging, we have greater freedom of opinion and need to worry less about offending a group members that may disagree. Redundant comments and questions to a user group fail to retain the interest of regular readers. Teachers have very limited time, so they prioritize. They do what is more productive and most urgent. It may be becoming more efficient to start with an Internet search than to depend on a user group.

Marvin

I have never called it a blog, but more of my opinions are on my web site at:

Art & Learning to Think & Feel
www.goshen.edu/art/ed/art-ed-links.html