[teacherartexchange] visual culture

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2008 - 07:54:24 PDT

I am able to give my students a rich background in all of the "ology's" listed in AP Art History, but not so much in my studio elective courses. With limited time, the elective courses are really limited to art making, but AP Art History is all about being sociologists, archeologists, pyschologists, historians and art detectives. Unless curriclum changes for art making courses, or time constraints are lifted, by the time students arrive in the studio, get out their work, almost 1/2 the work time is over, before clean up begins. Introducing the concepts, techniques, and studio practices at the beginning of the "project", is about all they can handle as they chafe to jump in to work with the materials and their ideas. I know, I just came back from the NJ Art Teacher's convention, where I taught 2 workshops, and as I introduced what we were about to do, I mentally read the art teachers all saying to me "yeah, yeah, just let me at the materials to make my own shadow puppet".

San D