RE:[teacherartexchange] ipods in art class?

---------

From: Jane (jpawlow2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2008 - 12:58:14 PDT

Becky,

I allow students to listen to ipods, etc. only after they have received any
directions from me for the day. They also know that I must not be able to
hear their music and if I talk to the class or them, they must be turned
off. They know that if they abuse this, they lose the privilege to bring
them to class. I find that it allows the students to focus on their work
rather than their friends. They often sit two to an ipod and share music but
they are relatively quiet otherwise they wouldn't hear the music.

Jane

Do any of you let students listen to personal music players (ipods, CD
players, etc...) in art class?

My school has a STRICT no-electronics rule and is not big on allowing
student-selected music in any class.... buuuut.... I've been given a
really huge group of 8th graders and have actually gotten the
administration to hear me out on the possiblity of allowing students
to bring ipods as an incentive for good behavior. I said they'll hear
me out... but it's a hard sell!

So do any of you have them, and how is it working for you? I read
somewhere that someone has them and class has gotten quieter! This
would be a really good point to bring up if you're really experiencing
a reduction in noise and behavior issues.

The one big downside would be if the ipods became a distraction...
sharing, "Hey, listen to this song!", etc....

So, what are your experiences?

Becky
Charleston, WV