Re: [teacherartexchange] art studio (at home) poll

---------

mbhirst_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Oct 04 2008 - 07:44:39 PDT

I am the luckiest person! I rent a small log cabin that is about 7
miles out into the cornfields. It has no water or heat (except a
fireplace and kerosene) but the best atmosphere in which to create. It
looks just like a Northwoods fishing cabin, if you have ever been to
one. I have made it into my "special place" where I am surrounded by my
favorite and inspiring things. There I paint, bead (a whole room full),
write, rock and think. Sometimes I don't even take my cell phone out of
the car! Once or twice a year I have an Open House and "allow" others
to share my space. My husband helps me put up and take down the storm
windows, bomb for spiders and set and clean the mousetraps! It is
heaven on earth and a perfect way to escape my daily life of teaching
high school art where 1/3 of my students have IEPs at a school where we
have 40% poverty and 1600 kids. I love it most days, but it is SO good
to be able to run away now and then! I am blessed.