Re: [teacherartexchange] art studio (at home) poll

---------

From: Dulcius (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2008 - 05:46:04 PDT

My Victorian house was built as a one-family residence with a servant's room
and extra stairway in the back. Somewhere along the line, it was converted
into a two unit upstairs/downstairs units. When we moved in, we converted
it back to a one-family, and the room that had been a rather small,
poor-quality kitchen for the upstairs unit is now my art and sewing studio.
It works so well because it has windows on two sides, a sink, drawers, and
cabinets on one side, and an empty wall on the other side where the stove
and fridge used to be. I have a drawing table in there, plus a large desk
and shelving unit where the appliances used to be. Because the sink and
cabinet units were old and in poor shape when we moved in, I haven't felt
bad about "messing them up" art studio-style. Before this house, we lived
in a small apartment, where I just had to sort of upend things to work on a
project of any size. It's so nice to be able to leave a project in the
middle without having it be in the way!
-Lydia in Toledo