[teacherartexchange] International teaching FAQ's

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissaenderle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2008 - 05:08:16 PDT

Dear teachers,

Although it is the beginning of the school year and you likely are not
thinking about a new job, it is a great time to consider teaching
internationally and beginning the recruitment process.

Here are some FAQ's on international teaching:

Q:How many Teaching Jobs are Out There?

Over 265 of the leading schools have already posted vacancies this
month for the upcoming school year. Every month more and more post
openings, throughout the year. In fact, there are immediate vacancies
for the current school year. As there are more schools, there are more
choices than ever for teaching internationally.

Q: What are my chances of finding an international teaching job?

The overall job market in international schools is strong. In fact, at
this year's recruiting fair in February, there were many schools
unable to find candidates to fill positions, due partly to the
increased number of job openings (and not enough teachers) and
teachers who had (like me) accepted a job prior to the fairs. In a
recent survey conducted by TIE, over 80% of its client schools had
experienced increases in enrollment for September 2008. In addition to
internal growth, the number of schools are also growing, particularly
in the Gulf, China, and Southeast Asia. There were job openings in
art, both at the elementary and higher levels. My school of 720
students (K-12) has at least 5 art teachers.

Q: How is the pay?
Salaries have increased significantly. In a recent survey by TIE, over
50% of the schools they work with increased faculty salaries anywhere
from 6-20%. The key when evaluating salaries is not how much you make,
but how much you can save. At the schools I've worked at so far, I can
save well over half my salary - and that still includes opportunities
for travel! Also remember that as long as your benefits and salaries
(many school provide benefits such as housing, utilities, etc.) are
below the US government Foreign Tax Exclusion amount (currently around
$80,000 this year) it is excluded from taxes. The cost of living must
be considered when making comparisons or judgements, as some cities
cost a lot more to live in. In some countries you will also have to
pay into the local tax system, which will also impact your salary.

If someone has additional questions, feel free to contact me.

Melissa