Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Need Art Relating to Literature and Poems (Ekphrastic art)

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 06:42:50 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

It is time for me to come to the list for help (smile). I am looking
for specific works of art relating to Literature and Poems (works that
I can find on line - I am not going to the library to look up books).
I have Demuth's "Number Five in Gold" (William Carlos Williams poem)
and now have Quidor's Headless Horsemen.

John Quidor, "The Headless Horseman Pursuing Ichabod Crane", 1858
The Headless Horseman Pursuing Ichabod Crane - Speaking of Pictures Interactive

I only want titles of works that I can find somewhere on line and am
particularly interested in tie ins with American Literature/Poems.

This is called Ekphrastic Art. I am researching this for my husband
and for an ArtsEducators list member. I have Ekphrastic Art linked on
my Comprehensive Arts page (but the images are no longer there). If
you are interested in more on this topic, let me know.. I do have some
links - but with not so famous works of art (I will have to see where
I "stashed' them).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department