[teacherartexchange] There is a new fish in the "Getty Pond" (long)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 14:42:52 PDT

Greetings Getty Folks,

A number of you who "know" me, know that I have often referred to the
list as a "pond" and we are all of the "fish".... our posts/ideas are
the food.... and the archives are a treasure chest. That metaphor got
soured a few years ago when one member referred to the ideas that come
to you first/the quickest as "pond scum" and you had to remove - go
beyond the pond scum to get the good ideas..... In my case, I usually
find that the ideas that come to first are my best ideas. I did not
want to have to go deeper to try to come up with better ideas for
folks. I didn't have time to dwell on the messages to see if I could
come up with a better idea, so after that time, I sent most of my
ideas off list.

My representation of the Getty pond sits on my desk - it is about a 1
1/2 gallon aquarium with a betta fish. The first betta was named
Nicholas Red Fish/Blue Fish (Nick for short) - Named after Nick from
Getty who fought to keep the list (formerly ArtsEdNet Talk). When Nick
died (the fish - not the person), that was supposed to be my sign that
it was time for me to give up the Getty list.... Well... Nick met an
unfortunate death. We had an ice storm and were without power for a
week. It got too cold for Nick. That was not a natural death for my
Nick...So, I bought a new fish and named him Marvin Famous Friend
(Marvin for short - after Marvin Bartel - Famous friend is the meaning
of name Marvin).

Marvin had a good life - I had him over two years - he was quite a
mature fish when I bought him (largest Betta I ever had - so was an
older fish when I got him). He passed in August and I did not replace
him until now. I did look a couple times, but didn't see any bettas I
liked. With my recent frustrations with the list, I was contemplating
cleaning up the aquarium and putting it up in the attic - and giving
up Getty list. Several folks asked me to get a new fish (smile).... So
I did.

I bought a real beauty. It is a red (almost a magenta) and blue crown
tailed betta (first one I have had of these). Here is a picture that
looks quite a bit like him.
http://www.e-aquarium.com.au/crown-tailed-betta.htm
You will also see that I chose this type of betta for my tip in page
(symbolizing the Getty Pond)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/books/TipIn-summerpage1.jpg

My new fish is named King Victorious (King for short - because he
wears a crown - Victorious after Vicky from Getty TeacherArtExchange
Staff who answers my emails to the staff).

I will still be listening.... and posting.... for a while.

If you have a reply to this, just send it to me off list... Don't know
if folks want anymore "fish tales" on the list (smile). I do have a
much larger pond, too - that represents "the world" to me. I have my
son's 75 gallon aquarium with lots of fish (the fish are from all
different parts of the world)... Sure will miss them when he decides
to take his aquarium. I have named them all.

What kind of fish are you in the Getty Pond? All along I was a betta
fish (fighting for the list). I don't buy the females though because
they aren't as pretty. Can't name my boy fishes after me (grin). A
while back I started writing a book about the Getty Pond.... there
were all sorts of fish in the pond. Of course, it was a book that was
never intended for publication - or for anyone really but me. I still
have folders in all email accounts labeled My Book - but haven't sent
anything there for quite some time. This is one "for the book".

Regards,

Judy Decker