Re: [teacherartexchange] monoprints

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 05:42:07 PDT

Greetings TeacherArtExchange Members,

I am hoping I am understanding Cyndi's first method correctly. This is
called the trace method. You can layer a clean sheep of paper over the
inked plate and do a line drawing on the back of the paper. Be careful
not to rest your hand on the paper on you will transfer a smudge. Or
you can do as Cyndi suggests, place a drawing on top of the paper and
trace over the lines of the drawing. Matisse used this method and so
did Picasso. I believe Cezanne and Degas may have, too. I had a number
of master artists that I shared with my students (but of course can
not remember all of them now.... it has been years since I taught this
method ). If you have an etching press (even a small one) - You can
run the inked plate through the press with a dampened paper over it. A
very nice "negative" of the traced lines is the result - very
beautiful to display both the traced print and the print of the plate.

The subtractive method is also easy to do with students. I do have a
write-up about this method on IAD. Very stunning with white in on
black paper. I found that acrylic white silkscreen ink works best for
this method (but you can use regular white block printing in, too).
Roll in out on ink plate (sheet of Plexiglas) - scrap away ink using
pieces of cardboard, cut pieces of credit card, double nibbed "eraser"
tool.... whatever works - place a sheet of black paper over inked
plate once you have removed ink to your liking. Gently rub the back of
the paper - pull print. I have some examples of this method on "My
Art" page

The other method Cyndi wrote about is the additive method.
I had success with Createx, too (lesson on IAD for that medium).

I also did a stencil method with high school kids.... cutting shapes
of paper - inking - placing on inked Plexiglas - then printing. We did
find it was easiest to let the inked plate and stencils/shapes dry
then print with dampened paper as it was difficult to work fast enough
to print while ink was wet. We used regular block printing ink. I
taught several weeks of monoprinting/monotype at the high school
level. The stencil method would be referred to as a monoprint as we
could use those shapes again to create another monoprint (still one of
a kind as it was difficult to duplicate exactly). The trace method and
subtractive method and direct painting on the plates (additive) are
all examples of monotype - and yes are also monoprints. Does that make
sense?

I did a whole unit of monoprinting/monotype with 7th grade. Had
stations set up. We also did Gyotaku (sp?) fish prints (using the
purchased fish forms - I wasn't brave enough to try real fish).

Thanks for posting Cyndi. I don't remember seeing the first post
asking for help.

Happy Printing!

Judy Decker

P.S. Note to all.... notice how I removed Cyndi's email address from
my post. It only takes a second or two to LOOK at your message and see
if the original member's email address is showing. Just highlight it
and delete it - then put [name] wrote: like I did.
I am deciding this week if I will continue to post to this list..... I
have been frustrated with it for quite some time (smile)... and do
apologize for showing my frustrations to all of you.
As a result of my address being "out there" so many times... it is
being spoofed and is sending out spam and virus emails. I am now
blacklisted (am on just about every spamblock/spamcop/blacklist list
there is) and do not have the time to jump through the hoops to get it
removed. Every time I get a spam email or virus email from my address,
I report it to Gmail and assure them I am not sending it. I do not
want to lose this email account. Yahoo closed one of mine a number of
years ago without any warning. I lost months of information I had
saved up. I also lost my original Road Runner address and my Internet
service. I had to convince Time Warner that I was not sending spam and
viruses. We were without our service for over a week. My husband is a
teacher and can not be without service again. So yes, this IS an issue
with me. Some of you think this is "no big deal" and I have no right
to be upset with this.... Many of you are continuing to post member
email addresses.... so Please do NOT reply to this message unless you
remove my address.