Re: [teacherartexchange] monoprints

---------

cans54_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 19:16:54 PDT

I have done a monoprint lesson that uses Paul Klee's Twittering Machine
as the exemplar.
I have my students create a contour line drawing of a fantasy machine
on a lightweight piece of paper. The students then roll out a thin
layer of watersoluble ink then layer a new sheet of paper on the inked
surface with the original drawing on top. I warn them not to shift the
papers or it won't turn out. If I doubt their ability to keep the paper
 from shifting, I have them paper clip the papers together before
placing on the ink surface. The beauty of the inking is it can be done
on an unscratched table surface - just a little messy to clean up.
another monoprint I have done is to draw on plexiglass plates with
water soluble crayons like Aquarelle, then with a sheet of dampened and
blotted paper waiting, the plate is spritzed with water ( old pump
hairspray bottles deliver a fine mist), paper placed on top ,
transferred and the print is pulled. Often you can get a second image
to print from the same plate; it turns out lighter in appearance but
sometimes has a neater effect than the original. Use dampened paper and
a little more effort to transfer preferably with a baren. Kids in sixth
grade love printing and clamor for the opportunity to roll out the ink.
You may want to set up procedures for that.
Happy printing!
Cyndi S from Wheaton, IL-----Original Message-----