[teacherartexchange] The Art of Native Life Along the North Pacific Coast (web site)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 17:54:39 PDT

Dear Art Educators (and Net Gold),

This presentation from National Museum of the American Indian is very good.
It was featured in Scout Report

16. Listening To Our Ancestors: The Art of Native Life Along the North
Pacific Coast [Macromedia Flash Player]
http://www.nmai.si.edu/listening/

Presented by the National Museum of the American Indian, this Web exhibit
focuses on ceremonial and everyday objects created and used by 11 Native
communities that have lived in the Pacific Northwest: Coast Salish,
Gitxsan, Haida, Heiltsuk, Kwakwaka'wakw, Makah, Nisga'a, Nuu-chah-nulth,
Nuxalk, Tlingit, and Tsimshian. The Credits section of the site provides
complete information about how information and materials were gathered from
each community. For each community, visitors to the site can read commentary
by community curators and view objects that were used for a variety of
purposes. The theme of the Coast Salish gallery is "Everything is
connected", and curator Marilyn G. Jones notes, "The items weren't made for
art, they were made for use." Examples include baskets and mats, canoes, and
weaving items such as whorls (parts of a spindle, used for spinning fiber
into thread by hand), which, despite Jones' disclaimer, are exquisitely
decorated. On the other hand, the Tlingit gallery starts with the statement
"These are our treasures" and includes art - sculptures of a Raven and a
pipe in the shape of an eagle; body ornaments - for hair, bracelets and
earrings; and a treasure chest. [DS]

>From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout 1994-2007.
http://scout.wisc.edu/

Net Gold, I know I have been "quiet" on your list. I am going to start
cc-ing my Art Educators posts to you (but will probably just say Dear
Art Educators in the future). I never seem to get around to typing up
a separate email to send to your list.

I will be linking this site up on my page of Native American art.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
Incredible Art Resources