[teacherartexchange] Chiyogami paper/origami lesson

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 10:45:44 PDT

Hello All,

I just solved a problem in my art room, and so i
thought I would share in case it might help someone
else.

I teach 5th & 6th grade and with my 6th graders I
always do a lesson on folding origami. In the past,
we have used printer paper (or notebook paper when
even that is scarce) the first couple of days and I
show them how to fold a rectangle to a square so that
they can make their own origami at home (I've also
heard that this is a question on the standardized
test, but I'm not positive about this) and after they
have mastered - or at least finished one paper crane,
I give them "real" origami paper and additional
instructions so that they can fold other things like
hopping frogs and boxes or invent their own origami.

However, buying origami paper for 350 kids is getting
too pricey and I hate being stingy with the paper.
So, the last time I purchased paper I got some
Chiyogami paper which is the patterned paper instead
of the solid and after some research I found that
die-hard origami fans make and design their own paper
- so I have created some Chiyogami paper patterns that
are black and white that I can run off on the copier
and then cut down to squares on the paper cutter.
Voila! problem solved.

I have several patterns that are simple brush strokes
and leaves and lotus flowers that I either made in
photoshop or found in some royalty free images that I
can email to anyone who is interested.

Also, i would love to have some Japanese calligraphy
for some paper, but I haven't learned how to make it
yet, so if anyone has an image they wouldn't mind
sharing I would love to have it to make some paper -
it can be something small that I can repeat in a
design for the paper.

Here is my origami lesson in a nutshell if anyone is
interested:

We fold the official paper cranes that are the
international symbol of peace (not the flapping birds)
 I usually print out the instructions from sadako.com
which are here
"http://www.sadako.com/fold/folding9.pdf" - these are
the clearest instructions I have found so far.

Day 1 - Read aloud "Sadako" (the storybook version,
not the chapter book) this takes about half a class
period. Then I teach them how to fold a rectangle to
a square and we start folding as a group, step by step
up to "square base" (I demonstrate at the front of the
room with a giant piece of paper and then walk around
to check everyone's folds before proceeding)

Day 2 - starting at "square base" we usually get to
"bird base" unless it's a small class in which case we
might get all the way to a paper crane.

Day 3 & 4 - after a brief explanation of origami
instructions - a dotted line is a fold, an line with
an arrow at each end means fold and unfold, the
difference between a mountain and a valley fold, etc.
 Students get to free fold with provided instructions
or they can invent their own - flapping birds,
hopping frogs, waterbombs and boxes are the most
popular and I walk around the room to help them (if I
can ) when they get stuck.

Chris in Central Arkansas