Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] African ARt

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 00:49:19 PDT

You have to differentiate between African art and African-American art. The
first is art from a foreign county. The second is American art.

The African art I learned in college was Benin bronzes, Voudon religious
figures, masks, etc., antelope masks, sculptures of twins. Otherwise I
learned Ubangi ear and lip decorations, cowry shell jewelry, beads, and
African cloth print patterns.

The African American art I studied is mostly black painters and people who
painted pictures of black people. Kids learn Romare Bearden when they learn
collage. They learn Jacob Lawrence when they learn history painting. They
learn quilting as one form of African-American art. They learn book
illustration with Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold. Also Brenda Joysmith.

Jean Womack

To unsubscribe go to