[teacherartexchange] one reply to African Arts Education

---------

From: Gabrielle Bliss (Gabrielle.Bliss_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2007 - 05:40:02 PDT

- These are great questions- please share your lecture with us!

what kind of things does students (in western
> culture) learn about african arts at their earliest
> ages of elemental and secondary schools?

In my experience American students tend to learn about masks and things
mainstream westerners consider to be superstitions. There seems to be a
focus on art from the western edge of Africa and American students (and
some teachers I have worked with) often think that "Africa" is one place
with one culture. Some, but not all African American students are very
embarrased by the superstition and percieve it as primitive.

> - what was the main purpose on exportation of
> African art to USA or Europe during that movement
> of colonial power periods in African continent?
> - why it was important thing for the professional
> art dealers, museums or government programs
> and public in general being involving on exporting
> it to their countries?
> - how then an african arts has been used in western
> cultural and societies until today?

Please, I'd love more information on these questions- and I'm wondering
how they are tied to my answer above.

Gabrielle in Minnesota- who neds to know more about African Art