[teacherartexchange] African Arts Education (was: teacherartexchange digest: October 26, 2007)

---------

From: Curt James (curtjames_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2007 - 04:56:19 PDT

> Subject: African Arts Education
> From: Godfrey mwamalumbili

> hi every body,
> I am preparing a lecture about african art for
> the university's students and art educators in
> Finland.
> Due to my short experiences of teaching art
> here in europe and in Tanzania where I come
> from, I found that a knowledge about african
> arts is very limited to the majority of westerners.
> This situation has rise up many questions into
> my brain especial when it is a time to prest my
> lectures. I found out a dificulties on where to start.
> I am keen to know and discuss about,
>
> - what kind of things does students (in western
> culture) learn about african arts at their earliest
> ages of elemental and secondary schools?
> - what was the main purpose on exportation of
> African art to USA or Europe during that movement
> of colonial power periods in African continent?
> - why it was important thing for the professional
> art dealers, museums or government programs
> and public in general being involving on exporting
> it to their countries?
> - how then an african arts has been used in western
> cultural and societies until today?
>
> though I am a longtime member of teach art
> exchange. I haven't been active in responding to
> many of articles posted by other members.
> Instead, I had been followings all dialogues
> in order to be up-to-date.
> This is because at the moment my main
> focus and time is on doing final work and
> exams which I suppose to graduate in
> December 2007 for B.F.A .

> Wood Duncan, I admiring of your art worrks
> and wisdom ,

I'll echo the Duncan compliment.

> big respects too to all of Teach art exchange
> members and operators.
>
> regards
>
> Godfrey Mwamalumbili
> TURKU ARTS ACADEMY
> FineArts and Photography Department
> Turku University of Applied Science FINLAND

Whatever you finally create, it would be excellent to post that info
to YouTube.

I searched "art education" on YouTube and found this disturbing video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKrO03MEE5c

More relevant to your post, however is the following wonderful video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znf6W0fbPLg

Best of luck with your BFA completion and your upcoming lecture.

Curt