Re: [teacherartexchange] African Arts Education

---------

From: Deanna Bowers (dbowers_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 12:35:00 PDT

Godfrey,
I am a high school art teacher in California. I would love it if you
could share information from your lecture on the teacher exchange. There
is usually a small section on African Art in our art textbooks, in the
chapter on Non-Western Art. I also have a video on African Art by RM
Arts and Associates, a BBC co-production. From my experience, African
art comes up when talking about masks and sculpture. The chapter in my
textbook has information on nomadic and sedentary farming cultures, cult
figures, fetish figures, reliquary figures, Nigeria and the Guinea
Coast, and Contemporary African Art. The entire section is only 6 pages
long, with several pictures. I think the study of Egypt and Egyptian Art
is probably a lot more dominant, especially in the earlier grades, than
anything else. Otherwise, I would venture to say that most younger
children are not exposed to african art at all. All of us are supposed
to be teaching about the art of different cultures, but the standards
are not very specific about WHICH cultures. Also, we are given many
opportunities to teach about African American artists like Romare
Bearden, Jacob Lawrence, Faith Ringgold and William H. Johnson, etc.
Of course the exportation of art from Africa serves to broaden our minds
and teach us about Africa and it's people. African art has inspired and
influenced artists like Picasso, Matisse and Modigliani, as well as
countless others. Of course other reasons would be related to money. I
myself am thankful that I have been able to see African art in art
museums in the US, and have been able to be influenced and inspired by
it myself. I think any additional education we could get on the topic
would be fantastic, especially information meant for teachers. I hope I
might have helped a little bit. Thank you, Deanna Bowers, Visalia, CA

Godfrey mwamalumbili wrote:
> hi every body,
> I am preparing a lecture about african art for the university's students and art educators in Finland.
> Due to my short experiences of teaching art here in europe and in Tanzania where I come from, I found that a knowledge about african arts is very limited to the majority of westerners.
> This situation has rise up many questions into my brain especial when it is a time to prest my lectures. I found out a dificulties on where to start.
> I am keen to know and discuss about,
>
> - what kind of things does students (in western culture) learn about african arts at their earliest ages of elemental and secondary
> schools?
> - what was the main purpose on exportation of African art to USA or Europe during that movement of colonial power periods in
> African continent?
> - why it was important thing for the professional art dealers, museums or government programs and public in general being involving on
> exporting it to their countries?
> - how then an african arts has been used in western cultural and societies until today?
>

> though I am a longtime member of teach art exchange. I haven't been active in responding to many of articles posted by other
> members. Instead, I had been followings all dialogues in order to be up-to-date.
> This is because at the moment my main focus and time is on doing final work and exams which I suppose to graduate in December
> 2007 for B.F.A .
>
> Wood Duncan, I admiring of your art worrks and wisdom ,
>
> big respects too to all of Teach art exchange members and operators.
>
> regards
>
> Godfrey Mwamalumbili
> TURKU ARTS ACADEMY
> FineArts and Photography Department
> Turku University of Applied Science FINLAND
>
> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:47:12 -0400> From: judy.decker@gmail.com> To: teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu> Subject: [teacherartexchange] Howard Finster fans - NY Times article (folk art with text)>> Dear Art Educators,>> Howard Finster fans will want to read this article in New York Times.> Saving a Folk Artist's Paradise, Lost to Weeds and Ruin, Is a Tangled Affair> By BRENDA GOODMAN> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/arts/design/25gard.html?_r=1&ref=design&oref=slogin> article has slide show.>> For those who don't "know" Howard Finster....>> Howard Finster Man of Vision:> http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CAP/Finster/finster1.html>> Howard Finster Paradise Garden> http://www.finstersparadisegardens.org/index.htm> has biography> Photographs of Paradise Gardens:> http://www.interestingideas.com/out/finster/index.htm>> From Raw Vision:> http://www.rawvision.com/back/finster/finster.html>> "Official" Howard Finster site - has some very affordable posters.> http://www.finster.com/> If any one orders a poster,
let me know the quality. I am guessing> they are closer to photocopy quality than a high quality reproduction?>> There is lot more out there.. but this should get you interested.>> Enjoy,>> Judy Decker> --> Incredible Art Department> http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/> Incredible Art Resources> http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/>> ---> To unsubscribe go to> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html