Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] African Arts Education

From: Godfrey mwamalumbili (godfreyartist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 10:35:24 PDT

hi every body,
I am preparing a lecture about african art for the university's students and art educators in Finland.
Due to my short experiences of teaching art here in europe and in Tanzania where I come from, I found that a knowledge about african arts is very limited to the majority of westerners.
This situation has rise up many questions into my brain especial when it is a time to prest my lectures. I found out a dificulties on where to start.
I am keen to know and discuss about,
- what kind of things does students (in western culture) learn about african arts at their earliest ages of elemental and secondary
- what was the main purpose on exportation of African art to USA or Europe during that movement of colonial power periods in
   African continent?
- why it was important thing for the professional art dealers, museums or government programs and public in general being involving on
   exporting it to their countries?
 - how then an african arts has been used in western cultural and societies until today?

 though I am a longtime member of teach art exchange. I haven't been active in responding to many of articles posted by other
  members. Instead, I had been followings all dialogues in order to be up-to-date.
  This is because at the moment my main focus and time is on doing final work and exams which I suppose to graduate in December
  2007 for B.F.A .

Wood Duncan, I admiring of your art worrks and wisdom ,

big respects too to all of Teach art exchange members and operators.

Godfrey Mwamalumbili
FineArts and Photography Department
Turku University of Applied Science FINLAND

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:47:12 -0400> From:> To:> Subject: [teacherartexchange] Howard Finster fans - NY Times article (folk art with text)>> Dear Art Educators,>> Howard Finster fans will want to read this article in New York Times.> Saving a Folk Artist's Paradise, Lost to Weeds and Ruin, Is a Tangled Affair> By BRENDA GOODMAN>> article has slide show.>> For those who don't "know" Howard Finster....>> Howard Finster Man of Vision:>>> Howard Finster Paradise Garden>> has biography> Photographs of Paradise Gardens:>>> From Raw Vision:>>> "Official" Howard Finster site - has some very affordable posters.>> If any one orders a poster, le
t me know the quality. I am guessing> they are closer to photocopy quality than a high quality reproduction?>> There is lot more out there.. but this should get you interested.>> Enjoy,>> Judy Decker> --> Incredible Art Department>> Incredible Art Resources>>> ---> To unsubscribe go to>

News, entertainment and everything you care about at Get it now!

To unsubscribe go to