[teacherartexchange] Christmas trees belong in schools

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 09:00:51 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

All public schools have a Christmas break - I know, now they call it
winter break. I think it is important for children to know why they
have a break. Understanding religions IS part of the curriculum. If
that part of the curriculum is ignored, things will never change.

Put a Christmas tree up in your school.... learn about the history of
the Christmas tree.
Here are some links with background information:
http://www.christmas-tree.com/where.html
(commercial site - but info is good).

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Noel/angl/sapin.htm

http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/origin-of-the-christmas-tree-faq.htm
I know you probably will not take kids to this site - but good info for you.
Lots of other good info on this site.
http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/christmas-origin.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas

There is lots more out there for those interested.

You teach about Egyptian art....Greek art.....masks of Africa......ALL
of these are about religion. Much of Native American Art is about
religion. Why do you tippy-toe around something that is so much a part
of American culture? I have tried many times to get you folks
interested in teaching more about religions in the world today. Art
about religion is a very important part of your curriculum.... but so
many ignore that. I have thrown out many ideas and how you can adapt
them..... no one has been interested. We need to teach respect for all
world religions.

If you post a reply to this... please read your post before you click
send. See if you have included my email address in your message. If
you have, take the second or two to remove it. My address has now been
posted over 300 times by list members. I get more spam than wanted
mail. Many of you need to be more considerate of other list members.
Slow down, read your posts first. Valuable members may be reluctant to
post if you continue to post their email addresses.

Regards,

Judy Decker