Re: [teacherartexchange] Elementary Sketchbooks

---------

From: Carol K. (artcek_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2006 - 18:44:32 PST

Thank you for your responses about the sketchbooks. I’m officially
keeping them. I was hesitant to get rid of them anyway, since the
kids provide them – it is on their school supply lists. So far
putting them on the floor in the beginning & end of class has been
working pretty well. I would put them in shelves or something but my
room has limited storage space.

So now, after reading your posts, I am wondering if I need to expand
my sketchbook vision. I’ve been mainly using them for warm ups,
preliminary sketches, and free draw (if they finish early). I had
some of my fourth graders write about their art as they finished last
week & I am thinking that I could have them do that in sketchbooks.
They could have a page of art vocabulary that they add to throughout
the year….a page of famous artists….they could gesso the cover and
paint it…..

Does anyone else have any sketchbook ideas?

Also, I would like to show my students some examples of sketchbooks
by famous artists. Does anyone know of book titles for sketchbooks
by famous artists? I was just browsing Amazon & it is not always
clear from their descriptions if I am looking at a book of a few
selected sketches or an entire sketchbook. I have “The Diary of
Frida Kahlo” – and I love how some drawings are small and simple and
sketchy and other drawings have much more details and have been
painted into – and some pages are just writing and some of the
writing has been crossed out. I guess what I’m getting at is that I
would be interested in finding more sketchbooks that show evidence of
the artistic process (rather than a compilation of more well
developed sketches). Any recommendations?

Thanks again. You all are truly the best.
-Carol