Re:[teacherartexchange] Mistakes

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2006 - 08:34:55 PST

On Oct 31, 2006, at 7:25 AM, Shannon McGraw wrote:

> The idea that artist never 'make mistakes' is unrealistic and
> I think it's an insult to kid's intelligence. Everyone makes mistakes;
> and while I let them struggle, and don't automatically give them a new
> paper to start over (I always say, draw lightly, then you can make a
> million mistakes and erase them and no one will ever know...and also,
> there are two sides to the paper)...sometimes, we all just mess up and
> have to start over.

The whole concept of the statement: "there are no mistakes in art -
just happy accidents"
is made to make a point to students - not to be taken literally. If
we can get students to
look at the little goofs (we all make) as opportunities then we have
been successful.
As a watercolor artist, I well know that lots of things happen as I
paint. I need to be very
open and flexible as to how I handle those opportunities. One would
be foolish to take
everything said literally. Often it is the happy accidents that make
a work look fresh
and original rather than tight and labored. As for not every piece
turning out right,
of course not but that is why many of us believe in the quote from
Art and Fear:
of your artwork that soars.”
                                                Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque