RE: [teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: October 29, 2006

---------

From: Shannon McGraw (smcgraw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2006 - 06:25:50 PST

You know what...again, going back to my experience of being married to a
very successful fine artist...I would see him work on a piece for weeks
and then end up throwing it away. He said, sometimes you just have to
let it go. The idea that artist never 'make mistakes' is unrealistic and
I think it's an insult to kid's intelligence. Everyone makes mistakes;
and while I let them struggle, and don't automatically give them a new
paper to start over (I always say, draw lightly, then you can make a
million mistakes and erase them and no one will ever know...and also,
there are two sides to the paper)...sometimes, we all just mess up and
have to start over. I too, have used the thought with my students that
we've got one life and we can't just get a new life..but have to work
out the one we've got...I really think with the infinite situations in
life/classroom, there are as many solutions. So, likewise, every
situation requires intuition from the teacher about the best way to
handle it. To say, I'll NEVER help a kid get unstuck, can be the wrong
thing for that kid, at that moment...who's to say? As I've said before,
when I see a kid who's really frustrated and just can't see the
'correct' direction of a line, for example, and asks for help, I'll give
it. I absolutely do not make it a principle of my classroom to 'do it'
for anyone.
My thoughts once again!