RE: [teacherartexchange] Touch ups

---------

From: Shannon McGraw (smcgraw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2006 - 06:17:17 PST

Bless you, bless you, bless you!

-----Original Message-----
From: donna catton [mailto:dcatton@se.hcs.k12.sc.us]
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 7:01 AM
To: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
Subject: [teacherartexchange] Touch ups

This is to Shannon. Thank you--when I was a kid I wanted very much
to be able to draw. What my first art professor in college told me was

we can ALL draw; we just need a little training. It took me until I
was 19 to know I
was an artist. If I can help a child discover that fact before the age
of
19, I'll do it any way I can. I would NEVER work on a student's work
when
they weren't present as I read about in someone's message! However,
sometimes
the smallest correction or guideline drawn by me sparks a student into
finishing
what she/he would not have attempted to finish otherwise. I always
tell the
students, "No, I won't draw it for you, but if you try and then need
some help,
I'll help you." No shame in that. Wish I'd even HAD an art teacher in
elementary
CJschool! I'd have been glad to have him/her give me corrections right
on my work!

------------------- TEXT.htm follows -------------------
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2963" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV>This is to Shannon.&nbsp; Thank you--when I was a kid I wanted very
much</DIV>
<DIV>to be able to draw.&nbsp; What my first art professor in college
told me was </DIV>
<DIV>we can ALL draw; we just need a little training.&nbsp; It took me
until I was 19 to know I</DIV>
<DIV>was an artist.&nbsp; If I can help a child discover that fact
before the age of</DIV>
<DIV>19, I'll do it any way I can.&nbsp; I would NEVER work on a
student's work when </DIV>
<DIV>they weren't present as I read about in someone's message!&nbsp;
However, sometimes</DIV>
<DIV>the smallest correction or guideline drawn by me sparks a student
into finishing </DIV>
<DIV>what she/he would not have attempted to finish otherwise.&nbsp; I
always tell the </DIV>
<DIV>students, "No, I won't draw it for you,&nbsp; but if you try and
then need some help, </DIV>
<DIV>I'll help you."&nbsp; No shame in that. Wish I'd even HAD an art
teacher in elementary </DIV>
<DIV>CJschool!&nbsp; I'd have been glad to have him/her give me
corrections right on my work!</DIV></BODY></HTML>